Monday, May 14, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

I was in a baking mood last night, but we were all out of protein powder so I couldn't make any protein bars. Then I saw that we had just enough oatmeal to make a batch of baked oatmeal. I usually make a really delicious and moist banana baked oatmeal, but we didn't have any bananas(shocking!) so I went on a search for baked oatmeal with apples. I stumbled upon this recipe from Finding Joy In My Kitchen and changed it just a bit.




Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Adapted from Finding Joy In My Kitchen

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup stevia baking blend
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon (I just realized that was a tablespoon. I used only 1 tsp in mine and it tastes pretty cinnamon-y. Adjust to your liking) 
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond breeze)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large apple, chopped (I used a granny smith)
Directions:


1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2.. Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, then set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, then add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
4. Lastly, fold in the chopped apples. Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish (I used a slightly smaller dish to get thicker squares) with non-stick spray. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Let cool before cutting into 12 squares.

The whole pan is only 1200 calories, so each square clocks in at only 100 calories. Of course, you can cut them into however many servings you like to fit your needs.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment